After the Storm
Once the "all's clear" has been given by local officials, you can come out of your safe room--but use extreme caution. If your home has structural damage keep out until it is inspected by officials.
- Locate the fire extinguisher before attempting to turn the power back on.
- Stay away from all downed power lines and especially water puddles near downed lines.
- Supervise children at all times.
- Do not use the telephone except for emergencies. Do not dial 911 unless it is a life threatening emergency.
- Do not report individual power, water, gas or phone problems. Utility companies will restore service as quickly as possible. Be prepared for the possibility of a long wait. Try to be patient.
- Do not drink tap water until you have been assured by officials that it is safe.
- Do not pile debris near power poles as it may impede repairs.
- When possible, call your out of town contact and tell them you're alright.
- Avoid driving.
- Tune to your local TV or radio stations or log on to www.Caller.com for the latest updates.
- Be aware of and obey curfew laws.
- Use caution in approaching someone else's property, you could be mistaken for a looter.